Carol Channing at a performance celebrating her 90th birthday (2011.) (Photo: Kathy Hutchins/Shutterstock)
Theater collectors can strike gold as Carol Channing’s estate will soon be up for an online auction. Abell Auction Co. announced the event will be on Thursday, June 17, auctioning memorabilia that once belonged to the beloved stage legend.
Channing is best known for originating the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi in Hello, Dolly!, playing that role on Broadway and in the tour over 4,500 times in her career. She won a Tony Award for her performance and later was awarded one for Lifetime Achievement.
The trove of to-be auctioned items features:
- Channing’s 1968 Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture for her role in Thoroughly Modern Millie ($8,000-$12,000)
- A Tony Award for Distinguished Achievement in Theatre from about 1968 ($20,000-$30,000)
- Carol Channing Holding a Crystal Ball from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes ($10,000-$15,000)
- One of Channing’s costumes from Hello, Dolly! ($1,000-1,500)
- Original Hirschfeld drawings entitled “George Burns and Carol Channing” ($10,000-$15,000)
- A tiara prop from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes ($2,000-3,000)
- A 1967 Academy Award Certificate of Nomination for her role in Thoroughly Modern Millie ($600-$800).
“Abell is honored to offer a stunning collection from the remarkable Rancho Mirage residence of Carol Channing, admired as one of the most recognizable persons in the theatre world,” said Senior Vice-President of Business Development Joe Baratta. “This is an opportunity for admirers and collectors from around the globe to acquire an item she treasured during her remarkable life, honor her storied career and continue her legacy of supporting numerous charities.”